Crystals have been used since ancient times to heal, protect, and enhance the mind, body, and soul. The idea that every stone has magical properties can be traced back through European literature of the early Middle Ages, to sources in Greek, Roman, and Arabic philosophy. Our lives are influenced by many different energies that we cannot see, and yet they can directly affect our state of mind and health. Crystal healing has been shown to balance, heal, soothe, and energize. It provides effective energies that can dramatically reduce levels of stress – one of the underlying causes of many types of disease.
Crystal healing is aimed at attaining a level of well-being that is not simply freedom from illness, but includes listening to our feelings, emotions, and thoughts. The beauty of crystals makes them a natural choice for personal adornment or home decoration. Qualities like chemical make-up, structure, shape, hardness, and lustre focus the energies of the crystal in certain ways, but colour is the key to how crystals heal. For healing, try to collect a wide variety of mineral types in a broad range of colors. Tumbled stones, flat stones, raw stones, and individual or clustered crystals are great additions to any healing kit.
Crystals can be used as amulets to ward off harm, as talismans to encourage virtues, as magical guardians to heal, and as tools to interpret messages from the spirit world. Whatever the case, it’s hard to deny their natural beauty, whether you believe in their magical properties or not. Below you will find the basic crystals, and some book recommendations if you would like to learn more about crystals and their healing properties.
Rough Crystals: The most natural form is the unworked crystal, broken from the rock and preserving its irregular, rough, untouched surface.
Tumbled Crystals: The rounded, tumbled crystal without points or sharp edges feels smooth and pleasant to the touch and clearly reveals the mineral veins in the stone.
Jewelry: The cut, faceted cabochon shape gemstone.
Clear Quartz (Rock Crystal)
- Known as the “stone of power” or “master healer”, quartz helps to amplify any energy or intention. It helps to reveal the truth, strengthen the whole aura, release blocked emotions, and brings about a calm, increasing clarity of thought and sharpening perceptions. It has long been used to aid meditations and bring about spiritual peace. The sacred geometry of a quartz point contributes to the ability of quartz to amplify any vibration or intention. The taller the point, the more energy is amplified. Quartz has an enlightening effect on all the chakras, it is a particularly good combination stone because it opens up all the chakras for relaxation. In addition, it reduces the strength of crystals that are to powerful and stimulates crystals that are to weak. Hardness Level- 7, Color- Transparent, white, Chakra- All.
- Known as the “stone of love”, it helps foster an appreciation of beauty. Rose quartz inspires feelings of love and friendship, it rapidly releases emotional stress, uncovers the underlying cause of problems, such as negative self image. It is the most effective stone against damaging radiation: place next to a computer it can prevent headaches and eye fatigue; when placed next to a bed it is effective against earth and water radiation, thus improving sleep quality. Rose quartz symbolizes trust and love, and is also helpful in affairs of the heart. It is most effective on the heart chakra. Hardness Level- 7, Color- Pink, Rose, Peach, Translucent, Chakra- Heart. *Please keep in mind that Rose Quartz may fade if left in prolonged sunlight.*
- Known as the “sobriety stone”, amethyst is a meditative and calming stone which works in the emotional, spiritual and physical planes to provide calm, balance, patience and peace. In the psychic and spiritual realms, it increases spirituality, enhances intuition and psychic powers. It is used to open ones channels to telepathy, past life regression, clairvoyance, and angelic communication. Amethyst helps to maintain equilibrium in all situations. It balances polarities, encourages self control, calms harsh emotions, and brings stability. It also helps alleviate migraines and nervousness when places on the affected area, or when a cross-section or geode is placed in the room. Hardness Level- 7, Color- Violet, light to dark, Chakra- Third eye.
- Symbolizes individuality and confidence. Natural citrine is pale and translucent, sometimes resembling very pale smokey quartz. Heat treated citrine has deep colored terminations of yellow and gold, with a milky white base. Citrine anchors and activates the lower chakras, boosting confidence and creating a sense of personal power. It combats stress and depression, all the while detoxifying the body and strengthening the immune system. Hardness Level- 7, Color- yellow, gold, brown, translucent, Chakra- Solar plexus.
- Symbolizes facing life, giving strength and motivation to meet new challenges. It has been used as a protection and grounding stone for thousands of years. Smokey quartz brings an inner calm to its possessor, giving renewed strength to overcome grief. With its gentle grounding energy, it helps calm the mind and focus thoughts and intentions. Hardness Level-7, Color-Smokey brown to brown black, translucent. Very dark varieties are called Morion, Chakra- Sacral chakra.
- Carries a high and powerful vibration and instills clarity of the mind. It has the power to cleanse and clear other crystals of negative energies, while cleansing and clearing itself. Selenite crystals work to help you to bring light down from the higher realms into the physical body, to create personal transformation. It opens the third eye chakra, the crown chakra and the soul star chakra. The best way to begin using your Selenite crystals is in meditation. Start by going deeply into relaxed inner awareness and allow yourself to feel and experience what the vibration of your particular stone has to offer you. Hardness Level- 2 *This crystal will dissolve or discolor in water*, Color- Transparent, translucent, white, Chakra- Third eye and crown.
- Activates the crown chakras, bringing in spiritual information and providing multi-dimensional healing. It is very cleansing to the aura and can dispel negative attachments and entities, and repair holes in the energetic body. It is a compassionate stone facilitating transitions to other states of being. It assists a soul facing death and provides immense support throughout terminal illness. It can also be an effective tool for spirit release and attracting guide to the journey. The amethyst color brings passion and imagination, emotion, and logic. It stimulates creativity and is helpful in artistic activities. The citrine color purifies intent and increases the sense of worth and empowerment. It is helpful in conflict resolution and in seeking or giving forgiveness. Hardness Level- 7, Color- Brown, Gold, Clear, Lavender, Lilac, Purple, Yellow, White, Chakra-Depending on color.
- Promotes growth and builds up strength. Malachite helps psychologically, aiding love sickness. It promotes understanding and spirituality, stimulating concentration. It symbolizes understanding of oneself and of others. It is effective on all the chakras, particularly the heart chakra. Malachite offers you the gift of taking responsibility for yourself and your actions. It helps you to break ties with the past and reprogram you expectations by teaching that you need to be aware of each thought and emotion that passes through every level of your being, as each has consequences. If you don’t have Malachite on hand, you can use Obsidian – preferably in the form of a gentle Apache Tear, tender Rainbow or soft Mahogany Obsidian – as this stone helps you to surface and release deeply help emotional blockages and taboo feelings. The effort of pure black Obsidian can be powerfully cathartic, so having the support of Rhodochrosite, Rose Quartz, or Mangano Calcite (stones of forgiveness) placed over your heart helps to bring the letting-go process o a successful conclusion. Hardness Level- 3.5 to 4, Color- light green to strong green, usually banded, Chakra- Heart.
- Carnelian is one of the oldest gemstones and protective stones in history, the Egyptians carried it about heir person as a source of energy and for the constant renewal of vitality. Drinking carnelian elixir helps firm the skin by stimulating the circulation. Psychologically, it increases vitality and zest for life while enhancing stability and the courage to carry out daily tasks. Symbolically, it represents activity by promoting helpfulness, idealism, and encourages community spirit. Carnelian water is made by leaving the stone in a glass of water overnight (you can learn more about elixirs here). Hardness level- 6.5 to 7, Color- yellow, orange, red, brown, Chakra- Sacral Chakra.
- Agates are among the oldest good luck and healing stones, dating back to the ancient past agate has been used during pregnancy for both mother and child, alleviating the discomfort experienced on certain days during pregnancy. It is used to treat headaches, dizziness, and impaired balance. Agate enables the wearer to choose between true friends and false ones; it is said to avert storms and lightning, and bring prosperity. There are many different types of agate, such as botswana agate, blue lace agate, tree agate, black agate, turritella agate, apricot agate, moss agate, and so many more; each has its own healing properties. Hardness Level- 6.5 to 7, Color- grey-blue to reddish-brown, can be easily dyed to bright colors (agate discs), usually arranged in layers, in multiple stripes or patterns, Chakra- Solar plexus or throat chakra depending on color.
- The Crystal Bibles By Judy Hall
- Healing Crystals and Gemstones: From Amethyst to Zircon by Dr. Flora Peschek-Bohmer & Gisela Scbehreir
- The Book of Crystal Spells: Magical Uses for stones, crystals minerals, and even sand By Ember Grant
- Chakra Clearing: Awakening Your Spiritual Power to Know and Heal By Doreen Virtue
- Crystals to Empower You By Judy Hall
- Crystal, Color and Chakra Healing By Sue and Simon Lilly
- The Encyclopedia Of Crystals, Revised and Expanded By Judy Hall
- The Modern Guide to Witchcraft: Your complete guide to Witches, Covens and Spells by Skye Alexander